Time: 30 minutes
- Chicken Verde
- 2 organic chicken breasts, trimmed + tenderized and halved
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 jar salsa verde
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- salt, pepper, red chili flakes, to taste
- Whole Wheat Tortillas
- 1 can Refried beans or Pinto Beans, mashed and cooked
- 4 Tbsp avocado oil
- Peppers and Onions
- 1 large bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp pink salt/sea salt
- 1 avocado (for topping)
Shredded Chicken Verde
- In a medium pot, heat 2 tbsp avocado oil on medium heat, then add chicken breast to brown on either side (about 2 min). You can also use an instapot for the chicken if you have one.
- Pour in entire jar of salsa verde, stir chicken, then cover with lid to let cook on medium-low heat for 12-15 minutes.
- Once chicken is tender, remove from heat and transfer only the chicken to a plate. Shred with two forks.
- Pour shredded chicken back into the pot, stir in cilantro, fresh lime juice, and seasonings. Set aside.
- Heat 3-4 tbsp avocado oil in a large skillet on medium-low heat.
- Heat tortillas over an open flame until slightly charred (or in a skillet with no oil, either side).
- On a flat surface or cutting board, fold in a good amount of shredded chicken + 1-2 spoonfuls refried beans, if using, and roll up right.
- Gently transfer to skillet, fold side down, to fry/brown. Flip every 3-5 minutes, or when browned/crisped. Continue for your remaining tortillas.
Peppers + Onions
- Meanwhile, in a separate skillet, sauté your peppers + onions with seasonings. Cover with lid and cook on medium-high heat until onions are caramelized & starting to char, about 10-12 min. Toss occasionally with tongs.
Time To Build
- Add avocado + more fresh cilantro and serve