I finally caved and got a pressure cooker, which is now made trendy being called an “Instapot”, so I thought I would share my first recipe.
Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups less sodium chicken broth
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1-2 tsp chipotle chili in adobo sauce, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 oz can diced green chilies
- 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 skinless chicken breasts, 16 oz total
- Optional: 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup shredded part skim cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 oz 1 small haas avocado, diced
- Press saute on the Instant Pot. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft, 3-4 minutes. Slowly add the chicken broth, tomato sauce and chipotle adobo sauce and cilantro.
- Add the drained beans, diced tomatoes, corn, cumin, oregano and stir. Add the chicken breasts; cover and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Quick or natural release.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Add chicken back into the soup, adjust salt and cumin to taste.
- For higher a carb, make brown rice to serve with
- Serve in bowls and top with cheese, avocado, scallions and cilantro. Also great with sour cream or crushed tortilla chips. Enjoy!