- 2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the frosting
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp water
- Crushed candy canes
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together on high speed until completely smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and beat on high speed until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl and beat again as needed to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low until combined. Dough will be relatively soft. If the dough seems too soft and sticky for rolling, add 1 more Tablespoon of flour.
- Chill dough for 30 minutes. You can either roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thick and cookie cut out the pieces or roll into 1 inch balls and press onto parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2-3 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Arrange cookies on baking sheets 3 inches apart. Bake for 11-12 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. If your oven has hot spots, rotate the baking sheet halfway through bake time. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.
- Decorate the cooled cookies with the powder sugar icing. Feel free to tint either icing with gel food coloring. Then sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
One thought on “Sugar Cookies (with candy cane)”
I want to try these! Hopefully I’ll get the chance this weekend… 😀