Time: 30 minutes (easy)
- 1 tablespoon + 2 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 4 eggs, whisked together
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped (about ½ cup)
- 2 cups additional veggies, cut into very small pieces for quick cooking (options include snow peas, asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, bell pepper)
- ¼ teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 tablespoon grated or finely minced fresh ginger
- 2 large cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (*see notes!)
- 1 cup greens: spinach
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon liquid aminos
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Chili-garlic sauce or sriracha, for serving (optional)
Before you start. Make some brown short grain rice. Take 1 cup, rinse it, and saute in 1 Tbsp. avocado oil for a few minutes to bring out the flavor in a small pot over high heat. Add 1 3/4 cup water and bring to a boil. Once it boils, reduce the water to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until all the water has evaporated.
This recipe comes together quickly so to make it easy, make sure that all of your ingredients are prepped and within an arm’s reach from the stove. Also have an empty bowl nearby for holding the cooked eggs and veggies. I’m suggesting that you start over medium-high heat, but if at any point you catch a whiff of oil or food burning, reduce the heat to medium.
Warm a large cast iron or stainless-steel skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add 1 ½ teaspoons of oil and swirl the pan to coat the bottom. Add the scrambled eggs and swirl the pan so they cover the bottom. Cook until they are just lightly set, flipping or stirring along the way. Transfer the eggs to a bowl and wipe out the pan with a heat-proof spatula.
Return the pan to heat and add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the onion and carrots and cook, stirring often, until the onions are translucent and the carrots are tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Add the remaining veggies, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and salt. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally (don’t stir too often, or the veggies won’t have a chance to turn golden on the edges), until the veggies are cooked through and turning golden, about 3 to 5 more minutes. In the meantime, use the edge of your spatula or a spoon to break up the scrambled eggs into smaller pieces. Add the rice and cook until the rice starts to golden (3-5 min.)
Add the greens (if using) and green onions, and stir to combine. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the aminos and sesame oil. Top with Sriracha and Serve.