- 1 pound ground lamb, ground beef, or chicken
- 1 yellow onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup hummus (see recipe to make your own)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice tossed with 1 tsp turmeric for serving
- Persian cucumbers, arugula, tomatoes, and tzatziki/yogurt sauce for serving
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 Tbsp mint
- 1/2 lemon juice and zest
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp shredded cucumber
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
Add the lamb, onion, garlic, lemon zest, cumin, oregano, cayenne, and a pinch each of salt and pepper to a bowl. Coat your hands with a bit of olive oil, and roll the meat into 2 tablespoon size balls (will make 10-12 meatballs), placing them on the prepared baking sheet. Transfer to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the meatballs are crisp or cooked through on the inside.
3. Meanwhile, make the tzatziki sauce. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth. Let sit to meld the flavors.
4. To serve, spread the hummus and tzatziki sauce on plates. Add the rice, meatballs, cucumber, tomatoes, and greens. Drizzle olive oil and lemon juice lightly over top of everything. Enjoy!