Makes 12 cookies
Prep: 20 minutes | Bake 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened // 1 stick equals 1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 drops natural peppermint extract
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat white flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp finely crushed candy cane
- 1/3 cup dark, bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together for about 1-2 minutes. Add egg, peppermint extract and beat until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides as you go to ensure even mixing.
- Add flour, salt, cocoa powder, baking soda and powder to a sifter and sift gradually over the wet ingredients mixing as you go. Mix until well combined.
- Add chocolate chips and stir in with a mixing spoon and then chill in the freezer for 10 minutes while the oven finishes heating.
- Form the dough into small balls (heaping 1 Tbsp) and place 1.5 inches apart on an ungreased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes – the edges should start to dry but the tops will still be slightly soft looking. Let set on the cookie sheet for a few minutes more but sprinkle crushed candy cane on immediately.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to rest until completely cooled. Store in an airtight container to keep fresh for up to a few days or freeze for several weeks.
Nutrition Per Serving (1 of 12 cookies)
Calories: 210 | Fat: 10g | Saturated fat: 6g | Carbohydrates: 29g | Sugar: 17g | Protein: 2.3g